Friday 21 February 2014

Drawing is seeing

Today at uni we had a drawing master-class with theatrical costume designer Anne Curry which was really great. She was such a character and really keen to help us improve and develop our drawing skills using a variety of mediums. Have a look at her work here.

Anne Curry - Queen Elizabeth I


Drawing workshop with Anne Curry
Bryony Hamer - Poster paints and oil pastels


This got me thinking back to when I started to learn to draw on my art foundation and how my tutors at the time would really drill into me how important it is to draw. I couldn't agree more. The thing I love most about drawing is that it's one of the rare occasions where there is really no wrong way to do it. I just think it's a beautiful way to express yourself. I mean, yes you can technically be a talented drawer in terms of proportion and accuracy but the beauty of drawing is that you are able to create a piece of art that is seen through your eyes. Drawing has no limitations and it is a way of expressing yourself that all languages can understand and/or can interpret in their own way.

In my opinion, drawing is more about seeing that actually putting pencil to paper. By really looking you are able to understand what you are drawing. It is that level of concentration that will allow you to create an image that is seen and interpreted through your eyes and I just think it is a beautiful form of communication.

I saw the video 'Ruth Drawing Picasso' by Rineke Dijkstra and Fiona Tan at the Accedemia in Florence a few years ago and it has stuck in my mind ever since. It really demonstrates what I mean when I say drawing is seeing.

I think you can see it at the Tate Liverpool but take a look at a short clip of it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment